Make an immediate one-off charge on top of an existing user subscription
This feature is useful for scenarios where buyers need to purchase add-ons on top of a recurring plan.
For example, Charges API provides you with the flexibility to charge buyers, with existing subscriptions, right away for one-off top-ups, rather than waiting for the end of their current billing cycle.
curl -X POST -d 'vendor_id=1234567' \ -d 'vendor_auth_code=123456abc...' \ -d 'amount=25.00' \ -d 'charge_name=100 additional credits' \ https://vendors.paddle.com/api/2.0/subscription/123456/charge
- All one-off charges via the API will be made in full i.e. no prorated credits, no price modifiers, and no coupon discounts
- The buyer will be invoiced and charged immediately
- Charges are independent of the existing billing cycle i.e. they do not affect any existing due payments or future invoices
- There is no built-in dunning for the Charges API, so you will need to manage error handling and retries on your own
- Charges API inherits the user subscription’s VAT settings (configurable from the Sales Tax Settings page in the Seller Dashboard)
- You can only charge a card up to 5 times an hour (inclusive of scheduled subscription payments and one-off charges)
- Subscriptions in a paused state cannot be charged until it is restarted.
The vendor ID identifies your seller account. This can be found in Developer Tools > Authentication.
The vendor auth code is a private API key for authenticating API requests. This key should never be used in client side code or shared publicly. This can be found in Developer Tools > Authentication.
The amount for the one-off charge.
This amount will be charged in the currency of the subscription.
If the user’s subscription VAT setting is set to add to price, then we will add VAT to this charge amount.
The name of the one-off charge - this will be visible to the buyers and will show up in the invoice as a line item, so that a buyer can always refer back to the invoice to know how much they were charged and what for.
Note: Please put a proper product / charge name here to make it clear what buyers are buying. Here are some examples:
- [add-on name] x [quantity] e.g. Supercool design plugin x 1
- [number of credits] credits for [subscription plan] e.g. 200 credits for Monthly talk time
- [quantity] [units] [product description] e.g. 124 MB data usage
An unsuccessful call to the Dashboard API will return a 200 response containing a field
success set to
false and an error object.